Novice/intermediate/Provincial/National Standards

OntarioStrongman competitions, training or general Q&A.

Moderators: Grant, jordanfoley

Sixpack Lapadat
Senior strongman

Novice/intermediate/Provincial/National Standards

Post by Sixpack Lapadat » Fri May 16, 2014 9:39 pm

We have athletes of all different levels on this board. If you had to name a few events that were best to use as standard events, what would be the expectations in those events at the Novice/intermediate/Provincial/National level in your opinion?

For instance…

Tire Flip (X 3 flips, 30 seconds or less)
Novice 700 pound tire
Intermediate 800 pound tire
Provincial 1000 pound tire
National 1200 pound tire

Some with events easy to quantify and keep the same across the board like log press, atlas stones, etc?

I think it would be interesting to get an idea as to what some athlete classifications might look like. I am gonna dig into competition results, but I think athlete input is important.

TheRack
Strongman In Training

Re: Novice/intermediate/Provincial/National Standards

Post by TheRack » Fri May 16, 2014 10:05 pm

I think people that want to make a distinction between Novice and Intermediate are really doing it to make themselves feel better. You are a Novice until you step onto the Provincial stage (ie Day 2 of OSM). Novice is a long process. I will compete at what people here call Intermediate shows but I am a novice. To call myself anything else would just be for my ego.
In Highland Games in Canada there are only 2 stages, Amateur and Pro (unless you count Guelph that runs a novice division but it's for first time throwers only). You start out as an Amateur and you don't win. You get better. Maybe you eventually win. You still get better. You start winning a lot. Then it's time to consider going Pro. The better Amateurs will throw at the more prestigious games. Your first win will probably come at lesser games with lesser amateur throwers.
In the states they have Amateur A, B, & C divisions. Everyone wants to tailor the competition so they have a better chance of winning and feeling better about themselves.

The line between this Novice and Intermediate will never be clear because new athletes will have greater variability in their strong and weak events. I'm a very 'novice' presser but maybe a provincial level Yoker. I might dominate some 'intermediate' competitions but lose in some 'novice' shows depending on the events.

Sixpack Lapadat
Senior strongman

Post by Sixpack Lapadat » Fri May 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Interesting feed back.

So you state you consider yourself a novice presser but a provincial level athlete at the yoke. What are you considering novice level for log press, and provincial level for yoke when you state that?

Andre Gregoire
Senior strongman

Post by Andre Gregoire » Fri May 16, 2014 11:40 pm

I respectfully disagree with Chris. Highlands games is very different, in Strongman there's a huge difference between novice and pro weights.

Especially since we don't have weight classes its nice to have strength classes that you compete in depending on your strength levels.

I think the most common events are Log Press, Farmers, Stones, Yoke.

Log Press (200-230), (250-280), (280-320), ( over 310)
Farmers (200-250), (250-280), (280-310), (over 310)
Stones (max 300), ( max 335), ( max 365), (over 365)
Yoke (500-600), (600-700), (700-800), (+800)

Something like that..,
If it's not hard it's not worth doing...

http://www.hyperforce.net/ <---Team Hyperforce
http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

BenThompson
Volunteers to plan and host the 2016 OSM

Post by BenThompson » Sat May 17, 2014 12:10 am

Its crazy how much this has changed over the years in terms of weight lifted. I remember in 2008 when a 275 OHP was elite, now that sucks.

I would say :
if you want to do an amateur contest, you should ohp 200 and dl 400 before even showing up. to win an amateur show 250/500 may be required. for intermediate level to win you may need 300/600 (I had 350,600 at Toronto show last year). To even show up at a pro show and not zero the shit out of everything youll want to OHP at least 300lb and deadlift 600+. To do well (top 5) at say an Ontario pro show you should be in the 350-400 OHP range and 680-730 deadlift range. To have a shot at winning the ontarios, you should be able to OHP 400 or close to and deadlift 700 or closer to 750 (I believe the past 2 winners, ben R and luke S can do this). if you want to win CSM, you have to beat JF caron which just aint happening so fuckin forget about that!

these are just my observation. The numbers are a bit arbitrary and don't really mean a lot just some general strength indicatiors. an example is I have had a 350+ push press for years now, and have gotten my ass whooped by guys who can press way less then I can. on a positive side I have beaten guys who can pull more from the floor then I can in deadlift events on multiple occasions. I guess and it all depends on the show and about 1500 different variables. but I think some of the examples I provided are pretty accurate.

now im just rambling. lol
Ben Thompson

"A master is someone who is fearless, become fearless"

"you gotta pull that bar like your rippin the head off a god damn lion
"

TDulmage
Strongman In Training

Post by TDulmage » Sat May 17, 2014 11:37 am

BenThompson wrote:Its crazy how much this has changed over the years in terms of weight lifted. I remember in 2008 when a 275 OHP was elite, now that sucks.

I would say :
if you want to do an amateur contest, you should ohp 200 and dl 400 before even showing up. to win an amateur show 250/500 may be required. for intermediate level to win you may need 300/600 (I had 350,600 at Toronto show last year). To even show up at a pro show and not zero the shit out of everything youll want to OHP at least 300lb and deadlift 600+. To do well (top 5) at say an Ontario pro show you should be in the 350-400 OHP range and 680-730 deadlift range. To have a shot at winning the ontarios, you should be able to OHP 400 or close to and deadlift 700 or closer to 750 (I believe the past 2 winners, ben R and luke S can do this). if you want to win CSM, you have to beat JF caron which just aint happening so fuckin forget about that!
l
To take it a step further, in 2000, a 200lb log press was good enough for 5th place at the provincial level. Just 13 years later, the OPENING weight for the max log press was 300. Levels change every year. and event to event.

TDulmage
Strongman In Training

Post by TDulmage » Sat May 17, 2014 11:43 am

Here, this thread should answer more questions.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1918