Front Squat and Zercher Squat

OntarioStrongman competitions, training or general Q&A.

Moderators: Grant, jordanfoley

ChrisP
Strongman In Training

Front Squat and Zercher Squat

Post by ChrisP » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for a while, and it seems a bit slow here too, looking over the posting dates.

They both have place in a strongman's training regimen, I am sure, but which squat, front or zercher, in your opinion, do you think provides more bang for the buck for strongman training? Training the regular or back squat is something I always work on, but I would like to know which of the two other squats a guy should be putting the emphasis on for strongman training.

Thanks for your input. :squat
Chris Pember

TylerD
Strongman In Training

Re: Front Squat and Zercher Squat

Post by TylerD » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:52 pm

I think about the those two squat variations with regards to what events they will help the most with. The zercher squat would benefit most for carrying events such as conan's wheel, sandbags or husafel stone. The front squat helps develop strength for tire flips, cleans (log, axle, barbell), push presses/power jerks (log, axles, barbell), stone loading and pulling events (arm-over-arm, sled drag). In an overall sense, I would pursue front squats as they seem to have the greatest carry over to the most events while using zerchers to target those specific carrying events. Keep in mind, heavy zercher squats will put a tremendous amount of strain on muscles and ligaments that cross your elbow joint. Lastly, zercher squats involve you controlling two more points of hinging than front squats as your shoulder and elbow joints now rotate roughly on axes parallel to your hip and knee joints. Hope that helps.
Tyler Desplenter